2/5/09

Turning a Corner: A Wife's Creative Renewal

I've made no secret that my husband's last day of school was Thursday... and if anyone heard yodelling Thursday evening... it was me celebrating on my roof... I want to shout it to the world. I also have made no secret about being a dyed in the wool, true, blue, homemaker. It's in my bones... and my brains... and I have wheat bread to show for it. (Most of it in my wedding ring)
As we turn this corner of life, as a wife... I am renewed. Having an involved husband leaves a few more hours for simple pleasures... A chance to sit, to ponder, to finish a project. A chance to concentrate on MY homemaking role and not the dual role I've shouldered for a year and a half.

I'll take time to create. Humans thrive on creation. (Ha Ha Ha... laugh ya'll, I know... 6 kids... Bahhahahahah!...) Women thrive to create smiles, comfortable homes, a place to feel loved and safe. We seek to create beauty all around us... and so I seek to beautify my home. (and right now I'm cracking up because somehow my sidebar adds have hair dye commericals... too many references to create, shoulder and color... sorry folks!)

I want to create a kitchen that will function for 8 AND be beautiful AND affordable. If you want to create a budget kitchen makeover using "builder cabinets" like this check out these ideas from BHG.COM crazy good ideas:) I also enjoyed seeing 25 ways to redo your cabinet faces on your own... like this saweet lady... check out this budget cabinet facelift site on BHG.com

This year I will be creating beauty in each room. So much of life can be caught up with routine maintenance. Maintaining is okay for a time and season... but to create brings satisfaction, renewal of hope and spirit, and confidence in dormant abilities. Melissa's Beautiful Life posts are a great way to get inspired. Head over there while she's out enjoying Blissdom... and sit in her Inspired Room awhile.
What do you want to create?



All photo credits are from BHG.com

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for such an inspiring post. I'm hoping to create a more relaxing and beautiful atmosphere in our bedroom. Am just getting started but looking forward to the process; mine and yours!

Teresa said...

Beautiful pictures and great ideas- Thanks for all the inspiration today-
Happy Day

Wendy said...

You are an inspiration! Congrats to the Hubby...yodel, yodel, yodel ;-) (Next Year...Blissdom...for sure!)

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the picture of the white cabinets, with the one set painted black. And I think I can do that this weekend!!! (in between sewing lessons, 2 soccer games, and a Scout meeting - hah!)

I usually take the cabinet doors off the cabinet under my sink and replace it with fabric - - - - but now I'm thinking of doing the Black Thing.

Unless I change my mind when I click on those links of yours...

knittingknirvana said...

I love all of the browns with white/ivory/cream. Thank you for the inspiration! At the moment, I want to create Valentine's Day pressies for the loves of my life.

I echo your feelings on a kitchen re-do. I'm thinking about spray painting my furniture and re-habbing my cabinets. I'm waiting for the weather to get better and then I'll surprise my husband. :) Maybe "surprise" isn't the best word. Hmmm . . . "freak out" is definitely a better choice.

Fifi Flowers said...

GREAT photos... lots of inspiration there! Good luck with your future kitchen project!
ENJOY your day!
Fifi

Amara said...

Man, i missed it -- I wanted to comment on your last post. I CAN"T BELIEVE YOU USE REAL DISHES FOR DINNER! You're so cool. I'm so happy for you that school is done. I can't even handle it when Jeff goes on a 3 day scout trip!

Renata said...

Those are beautiful pictures in your post - very inspirational. The first thing I need to finish making is Ellie's school uniform - then I can begin sewing the lace for my door curtains.

Serendipity said...

COngrats to your hubby {and YOU}! My next project is making our bedroom one of my favorite rooms in the house! {Inspired by one of the Nester's recent posts...}

I have to tell you, you inspired me to bring out the good dishes on a daily basis! If you can do it, I can too! :)

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Ooo, such great ideas! Thanks for linking! And WOWZERS congratulations on the completion of hubby's school!!!
I remember that day for us was a HUGE milestone!

blessings,
melissa

 
entering http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping