4/23/09

Stunning Junk Decor

Who says your house has to be drab if you're poor?  Arm yourself with a can of spray paint that goes with your color story   , do a little dumpster diving and get to work!  I love the high contrast of this cabinet and the letter makes this little find sing a big statement.

Mothers Day gift ideas?  How about Junk Drawer Decor!  Hahaha.....  Line a rogue drawer with galvenized steel and covered in fabric for a message board that demands attention.
Okay, I think that this idea is my favorite.  Don't you just love these pieces of moulding and trim painted the same color as the frame and backed with scrapbook paper?  Easy. Cheap"ish" and definitely an eye popping bargain.  You can use rosets or corbets... head down that fancy wood section at home depot... they even have the MDF or Foam equivalent for less.
Stylish shower curtains are hard to come by without breaking the bank.  Get out those odd scraps of fabric, Pray they kind of match and piece them together.  Tie the colors in with trim and don't forget the do it yourself tassel balls on the shower hooks.  (Nothing more than yarn, cardboard and fancy cutting)
Now, if I live somewhere where pretty leaves grew, I'd do this.  Somehow framed cactus pads, dead grass, and decomposed granite don't lend themselves to decorating.  I love the variation in frame color here and how it perks up this sitting space.  Of course this wouldn't collect dust outside or blow away... it's just too pretty to behave that way.  Sometimes you have to shut your practical mind off when you're decorating.
A couple of quick reminders:  Don't forget to head over and link up to Shabby Nest for her Frugal Friday Party.  Who doesn't need cheap decorating ideas these days? or EVER?

Also... I'll post more on this next week but you need to get your orders in to RHB Designs for your Mothers Day necklaces!  This lady is incredible and I'm drooling over a few of her sweet mothers necklaces.  I'm looking for something big enough to put 6 kids names on.  Orders for Mothers Day need to be in by next Tuesday to guarantee delivery.  Go check her out if you haven't gone shopping for your moms... (or yourself!)

Ad Space still available for your mom business HERE.

What are you cheap decorating ideas?
All photos: BHG.com

21 comments:

Vanessa Greenway said...

Very pretty! Love the bathroom decor. The "G" hung on that console/cabinet would look perfect in my home!

Jen@Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Love those. Yes, I admit, my junk drawer looks ah....really.....junky. No cuteness what so ever. I must fix that. :)
Thanks for the note about my header. Is it loading for you now?

Chris said...

Those are some great ideas! Nice pictures!

Lana said...

Have I ever mentioned how much I love your ideas? Too fun!

I'll be posting my ideas for my playroom soon...my kids (and sweet hubby) are going to LOVE it!

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

I love these ideas, especially the drawer and the framed pieces of molding.
:)

Kristen said...

Always beautiful! I look forward to all your posts :)

I gave you a blogging award in my latest post; you are so motivating and helpful!

Kristen, pajama mama said...

those are pretty great ideas!
-kristen

Lorrie said...

Fabulous idea. I like the drawer one the best. I like the "g" on the cabinet. Blessings.

Stacia Howard said...

Totally great ideas! I LOVE them all! I can't wait to put some of them in motion. Thanks for sharing.

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

Very cool ideas! Love the moulding for art, I am always looking for ways to use it. And...the rogue drawer, right up my alley!

~Misti

MaRiN said...

oh how I love new ideas! thanks so much.

Mrs. Petrie said...

I never thing of using galvanized steel as a magnetic surface, but of course it would work! Very clever.

Wendy said...

I adore that framed moulding idea also! I never would have thought of something like that. People's creativity just amazes me!

Katie @ makingthishome.com said...

I've been thinking about using fabric to make a different shower curtain. I love the one you show. You've really got me thinking of all kinds of ways we could spice up our new home in Germany!
Thanks.
Katie

stephanie h said...

WOW! I love that stuff!

Crissie said...

Oh my gosh, so much to love! LOVE the drawer turned gorgeous bulletin board, love the botanicals on the porch (that's going to be on my back patio!!!) and you can be sure I'm going to be piecing together my own shower curtain!

You always share so many wonderful ideas!

xoxxoxoo

Pam said...

OOOOOH, love that junk drawer decor. So pretty! That would make a great gift for my MIL. I will definitely have to do the moulding and trim art for myself. Thanks for sharing!!

Tiffany said...

Oh, I LOVE the framed moulding...just perfect! The "G" hanging on that furniture is great too and I love the fabric on it. Wow...fabulous ideas!

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

I love the molding idea! Just pretty!

Bahama Shores Mama said...

Yes to it all, please! I think the cabinet may be my favorite.....no wait it's the drawer/memo board.....or..never mind. I love them all.

Betty Jo said...

Awesome ideas. My fave are the molding pictures. Must try that. ♥

 
entering http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping